30 Apr Ultimate Flooring Cost Guide – 2021 Sydney & NSW
Will you go for the real solid timber flooring, or a more affordable hybrid or laminate floor? When it comes to actually deciding which floor to purchase, it all goes down to your budget in the end. Whats more, you will find that some flooring retailers will sell the same product for twice the price of other places!
It is important to understand where your good money is going, which is why our research team has gathered and aggregated the appropriate Sydney & NSW price range of almost every floor covering you can come across as of 2021.
This Ultimate Guide covers the updated prices of supplying and installing:
- Solid Timber
- Engineered Timber
- Hybrid Flooring – SPC & WPC
- Laminate Flooring
- Vinyl Plank Flooring
- Bamboo Flooring
Solid Timber Flooring Cost
Solid timber refers to the actual wood planks cut from trees which are designed for interior floor covering. These come in the Australian and local offshore hardwood ranges, as well as European and American oak wood.
Both hardwood and oak families are available in two forms as pre-finished timber and raw timber. Raw timber requires sanding and polishing before it becomes suitable as flooring, whereas pre-finished timber has already been ‘pre-finished’ within the factories.
Solid Timber Supply Cost:
- Both pre-finished timber and raw timber come at very similar prices between the range of $80 – $130 for every square metre of material. The difference lies in the species of wood, the thickness and the width of each plank.
- Some lower feature grade timber which have more defects can be found as low as $50 – $80 per square metre, however they are usually aesthetically unsuitable for residential purposes unless intentionally designed for a rustic experience.
- Hardwoods are usually a teeny tiny bit more expensive than European oak ranges, however both fit snugly within the range.
Solid Timber Installation Cost:
- Floor Laying – The typical cost of laying solid timber flooring is fairly high at around $40 – $60 per square metre. This is because solid timber must be directly attached to the subfloor, usually with nails and glue.
- Sanding & Polishing – Raw timber requires an additional sanding and polishing job which adds $40 – $50 on top of the laying price.
- Timber Staining – If you wish to customise the colour by staining the raw timber floors, companies typically charge a further $20 for every square metre.
You can browse solid timber flooring options here!
Engineered Timber Flooring Cost
Engineered timber flooring is a slightly more affordable covering which also uses real timber. The difference is that engineered timber flooring is made up of multiple layers:
- Wear Layer – All types of flooring including engineered timber are coated in a (usually) aluminium oxide wear layer which protects the surface from scratches and water.
- Timber Veneer – Engineered timber contains a real layer of authentic timber, either a hardwood or European oak which exudes the gorgeous natural beauty. These are typically 2 – 6mm thick.
- Core Board – The timber veneer is attached to a core board which is usually made of plywood. This minimises warping from temperature and moisture fluctuations. More innovative engineered floors like HydroPro Timber use a 100% waterproof core board for maximum water resistance.
Engineered Timber Supply Cost:
You can typically purchase engineered timber from $55 – $110 per square metre. This is quite a significant range as the thickness of the veneer has a very big impact where more natural material pushes up the price.
Timber Veneer Thickness:
- 0.2 – 2mm Veneer: $60 – $80 per square metre.
- 2 – 4mm Veneer: $70 – $90 per square metre.
- 4 – 6mm Veneer: $80 – $110 per square metre.
Engineered Timber Installation Cost:
Engineered timber flooring is also much cheaper to install than solid timber as they are classified as a floating floor. Floating floors do not require glue or nails during installation, instead they use a click-lock system which is laid similarly to a giant jigsaw puzzle. Direct-stick installation with glue and nails is also an option in some cases for thicker engineered timbers to minimise warping.
- Floating Installation: Installers typically charge $25 – $40 per square metre for straight forward engineered timber installations.
- Direct-Stick Installation: As it is more complicated, you can expect to pay anywhere between $40 – $50 to install per square metre. Can go even higher in some cases.
Hybrid Flooring Cost
Hybrid flooring definitely shook the market over the last five years with its waterproofing capabilities and hardwearing surface. Surprisingly, hybrid floors are also on the more affordable end of the market.
Hybrid flooring comes in two forms; Stone Plastic Composites (SPC) and Wood Plastic Composites (WPC). SPC hybrid options are a little more affordable and durable. WPC on the other hand is more comfortable underfoot but a little pricier.
Most hybrid floor ranges have acoustic underlay pre-attached which can save you the trouble and expense of purchasing them separately if required by strata / body corporates.
Hybrid Flooring Supply Cost:
- SPC Hybrid: $35 – $60 per square metre
- WPC Hybrid: $40 – $60 per square metre
Hybrid Flooring Installation Cost:
Hybrid flooring is a floating floor which makes it simple and cheap to install. Labour costs generally range from $25 – $30 per square metre for straight forwards hybrid flooring installations. One important factor to keep in mind is that hybrid floors require a very even subfloor. It is possible to incur extra subfloor levelling charges which vary significantly in cost depending on severity.
Interested in hybrid flooring? Check out our full range of hybrid floors here!
Laminate Flooring Cost
Laminate flooring is the most common type of floor covering, owing to its unparalleled abrasion resistance and being the most affordable type of flooring available. Made of high density fibreboards (HDF) and advanced printing technology, laminate floorboards can feel and look like real timber.
Laminate Flooring Supply Cost:
As the most affordable floor solution in the market, you can expect to pay anywhere from as low as $20 up to $50 per square metre for laminate flooring. The large range in price can be attributed to the many different thicknesses, abrasion ratings and water resistance tiers.
- Floorboard Thickness – The thickness of laminate floors determine how tolerant they are against uneven subfloors. As thicker floorboards require more material, they are also more expensive.
- Abrasion Coefficient (AC Rating) – The AC rating measures how well the laminate floor can hold against scratches and dents. This is measured from AC1 – AC6, where higher is stronger and more expensive.
- Water Resistance – Almost all laminate floors come with a certain number of ‘hours of water resistance’. These are usually found in tiers of 24 hours, 48 hours or 72 hours. Higher is of course more long lasting but also more expensive.
Laminate Flooring Installation Cost:
Laminate floors are the easiest to install as a floating floor and should be generally charged somewhere between $20 – $30 per square metre, with underlay included (non acoustic).
If you are interested in viewing laminate flooring options, we have over hundreds in our laminate flooring range!
Vinyl Flooring Cost
Vinyl flooring is commonly laid in areas with exposure to moisture, especially in areas like store fronts and lobbies. Their waterproof and softer polyvinyl chloride (PVC) composition makes it especially suitable as a commercial floor covering. Some vinyl flooring options even have anti-slip features for bonus safety!
Vinyl Flooring Supply Cost:
Vinyl flooring costs $30 – $45 per square metre and is hence on the more affordable end of the market. The factors influencing the cost of vinyl planks include the material thickness, the wear layer quality and how realistic the overall design is. Lower quality vinyl flooring can come off as very fake and can also emit respiratory irritants known as volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Vinyl Flooring Installation Cost:
Vinyl flooring can be installed in two main methods – with the use of adhesives, or a glue-less ‘loose lay’ installation. Glue down vinyl flooring installation costs anywhere from $30 – $40 per square metre, whereas the loose lay options are generally between $20 – $30.
If you are looking to buy vinyl flooring, we have a large range of vinyl plank colours here!
Bamboo Flooring Cost
Did you know that bamboo can reach maturity in only 4 to 7 years as opposed to hardwoods which take upwards of 40 years? Bamboo flooring has been recognised as the most sustainable and natural flooring since its first appearance two decades ago. It is also considered the middle priced flooring as it is a little dearer than synthetic floors like laminate and hybrid, but are more affordable than solid or engineered timber.
Today, bamboo flooring comes in two forms – strand woven bamboo flooring, or engineered bamboo flooring. Engineered bamboo has a thin veneer of real bamboo fused to a plywood base. They are slightly more affordable and offer greater resistance to warping from temperature or moisture. Historically, there was also vertical and horizontal bamboo flooring. However, they have failed the test of time owing to weaker durability and are no longer sold today.
Bamboo Flooring Supply Cost:
- Strandwoven Bamboo Flooring: $55 – $70 per square metre
- Engineered Bamboo Flooring: $50 – $60 per square metre
- Vertical & Horizontal Bamboo Flooring $30 – $40 per square metre (Largely discontinued in Australia)
Bamboo Flooring Installation Cost:
The cost of a bamboo flooring installation is fairly affordable from $20 – $30 per square metre as a floating floor. Sometimes it is necessary to direct-stick the bamboo floors into the subfloor in areas which may have higher humidity to minimise swelling. Direct-stick installing bamboo flooring will generally cost between $35 – $50 per square metre.
Our large range of bamboo flooring will have you spoiled for an option, check out the full bamboo range here!
Conclusion – Flooring Cost Per Square Metre
That was a huge mouthful! We’ve constructed a tabulated version of the key takeaways for a more convenient overview. Hopefully this will help you understand the costs holistically.
|Flooring Type / Service||Material Price Per SQM||Installation Price Per SQM|
|Laminate Flooring||$20 – $50||$20 – $30|
|Hybrid Flooring||$35 – $60||$25 – $30|
|Vinyl Flooring||$30 – $45||$20 – $40|
|Bamboo Flooring||$60 – $80||$20 – $30|
|Engineered Flooring||$65 – $100||$35 – $40|
|Solid Timber Flooring||$85 – $130||$40 – $50|
|Sand & Polishing||$40 – $50||N/A|
If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us for a free consultation, quote or on-site inspection!