27 Feb Which Carpet is Best & Brand Reviews [Updated 2023]
There are so many carpet flooring options to choose from. Which one will be the right carpet for your home? Whilst there is no ‘best carpet flooring’, not all carpet floors are made equal. We at FloorVenue value the importance of transparency, which is why we urge you to read our Honest Buyers Guides. It’s written by our own team of experienced professionals and it contains unfiltered pros and cons of our top-selling brands.
Carpet Floors – What are They?
Carpet is a type of flooring made from woven fibres. It comes in a variety of styles and colours, and has many wonderful benefits. For starters, carpet is affordable and easy to maintain. It’s also cozy, comfortable, can absorb sound, and provide a non-slip surface. One of the most popular benefits of the carpet is that it is treated with stain and soil-resistant treatments which make it easy to clean and keep looking new for a long while. If you’d like to see how carpet compares with our flooring range, check out our comparison guide with laminate flooring and timber flooring!
Top 5 Carpet Brands in Sydney
Godfrey Hirst Carpet
Godfrey Hirst is a leader in the carpet industry with over a thousand products from affordable polypropylene to premium wool carpets under their Hycraft brand. As a subsidiary of the international giant Mohawk Industries, Godfrey Hirst has the advantage of investing in frontline technology when it comes to carpets and even hard floors. They are one of the only suppliers of the new and innovative triexta carpet which is made partially from corn sugar! Godfrey Hirst is dedicated to creating, producing, and providing premium floor coverings that enhance the beauty, comfort, and sustainability of the world. The company’s carpets and hard flooring products serve as a secure, comfortable, and attractive foundation for homes in Australia.
Advantages of Godfrey Hirst Carpets
- Very large range of trusted carpets in all types of fibres and structures. Godfrey Hirst manufactures polyester, polypropylene, nylon, triexta and even natural wool carpet. You’ll be spoiled for an option when choosing Godfrey Hirst.
- Purchasing Godfrey Hirst carpet is choosing the company with over a century of experience as they were founded in 1888.
- All Godfrey Hirst carpets are domestically manufactured to support the local economy. This also means the stock is generally available and doesn’t take months to get into the country.
Disadvantages of Godfrey Hirst Carpets
- Limited warranties mean that there are many restrictions on how the carpet can be used and cleaned whilst protecting the warranty. Vacuum cleaners must have beater bars adjusted and must not be a Dyson vacuum cleaner. It is best to read the warranty guidelines of the product you purchase.
- Potential fading is possible for some of the cheaper carpets that Godfrey Hirst sells. This is more evident in areas that are exposed to excessive sunlight.
Feltex is the second largest manufacturer that produces their carpets in Australia instead of overseas. They are owned by the same international giant Mohawk Industries and also operate out of the same factory. They also offer a variety of different carpets including the sustainable triexta, however they have a unique fibre type known as “soft polyester” in their Redbook Carpet range. This offers unparalleled softness at a more affordable price than other carpets.
You might be wondering, why can’t they just combine Feltex and Godfrey Hirst into one brand? The legend has it that long long ago, they were legally required to split the brand into two and have different management in order to avoid a monopoly. If anything, this means both Feltex and Godfrey Hirst can be trusted to manufacture carpets good enough to monopolise the industry! As a bonus, shoppers will have even more colours to choose from!
Advantages of Feltex Carpets
- Feltex has a huge range of colours and fibres, similar to Godfrey Hirst carpets. Positive reviews have mentioned the carpets feeling very soft, comfortable and plushy underfoot.
- Because Feltex manufactures their carpets domestically, this also means stock is more readily available than suppliers that order in from overseas.
- The Feltex in house design team is constantly updating their colours and investing in new innovative products like triexta carpets or soft polyester.
Disadvantages of Feltex Carpets
- Flattening and tracking is common amongst their soft polyester and twist/plush pile carpets which may not be everyone’s preference.
- Discolouration is possible when exposed to direct sunlight or oil based stains. This will not be covered by the warranty of the carpet.
EC Carpet is an Australian carpet company that has been around for 50 years and specialises in loop pile carpets, specially those made from the more affordable polypropylene fibre. The company changed its name to EC Carpets in 2017, however, the name Edwardstown Carpets was originally taken from the suburb in which it was founded. EC Carpets aims to transform people’s experience of space by supplying high-quality carpets made in Australia. They accomplish this goal by designing with innovation, creativity, and colourfulness.
Advantages of EC Carpets
- EC Carpets are renowned for their excellent resistance to scratches and stains. It will be perfect for active families with pets or children, or areas of the home with high foot traffic such as hallways.
- Level Loop carpets typically have loops of a similar length, which creates a consistent & level look. This allows the EC carpets to be designed to create a patterned & textured appearance.
- EC Carpets have a Natural Berber style appearance which provides an excellent aesthetic appeal with soothing, lighter colours. It is soothing and modern, which will be an excellent touch to your home’s interior decor.
- EC Carpets have a strong focus on supporting local businesses. As such, their materials and manufacturing processes are all done right here in Australia!
Disadvantages of EC Carpets
- Most EC Carpet ranges are manufactured from polypropylene which is less soft compared to other fibres like nylon, wool or the new triexta. You can learn more about how polypropylene compares to other fibres in our guide to polypropylene carpet.
- Polypropylene is also less resistant to colour fading. This is more pronounced when direct sunlight is exposed to the fibres, as you can visibly see where the colour has began to fade.
Begoltex Carpets have an excellent reputation for providing some of the highest quality nylon carpets. Their wide range of nylon options are perfect for all environments, which include retail, office, residential and many more. They have developed a strong supplier network in Australia through 20 plus years of operation to bring you premium nylon carpets directly from Belgium manufacturers.
Advantages of Belgotex
- Begoltex Carpet offers excellent personalisation services to clients who are interested in broadloom carpet. Through the utilisation of a cutting edge printing process, they are able to produce an extraordinarily wide scope of designs with amazing definition.
- Begoltex Carpet also offers a 50 colour option palette with their solution dyed nylon tufted patterned carpets, so you will definitely be spoilt for choice! You can read more about nylon carpets by exploring the benefits and drawbacks of nylon carpets.
- All carpet products carry certified quality assurance in accordance with ISO 9001, which ensures that all carpets are produced to high internationally-verified standards for your peace of mind.
- Begoltex products are specially designed to resemble the environment and provide an uplifting atmosphere.
Disadvantages of Belgotex
- Prolonged or repeated humidity can cause severe damage to carpets. It is important not to have too much moisture exposure when cleaning. This can cause warping, detachment of the backing, or encourage mould growth.
- Carpet tiles are suitable for commercial environments, but may not have the comfortable underfoot feel which you would expect for residential carpets.
Classic Flooring Carpet
Classic Flooring specialises in a wide range of commercial floor covering solutions. Classic Flooring offers not only durable and affordable products but also the design, manufacturing and sale of high-quality carpets for high-traffic environments. Whether your need is for office, schools, universities, hotels, or any other space, they have the perfect product for you! Their extensive range of modular carpet tiles and wall-to-wall floor are sure to satisfy your needs.
Advantages of Classic Flooring
- Polypropylene carpet and commercial carpet tiles are stain-resistant, making them great for families with kids around who spill food and drinks all over the place.
- Want to save money and look good? Classic Flooring Polypropylene fibres are the way to go. They’re less expensive than their nylon counterparts, and they also have a more aesthetically pleasing texture.
- Their carpets are colourfast, which means that they will resist fading. The colours will stay strong and vibrant, giving excellent longevity to your carpet.
Disadvantages of Classic Flooring
- Although polypropylene carpets are stain-resistant materials, they can be difficult to clean. Oil-based stains will become a permanent part of the fibres, and cleaning agents won’t always help.